Today, due to the snow, Brian got to come home from work around 10:30. After taking a nap I asked him to help me put up the Christmas decorations. We took down the tree and put it in the attic without incident. I asked him to take the wreaths up and put them in the attic with the tree. He headed up with them while I was standing in the kitchen cleaning something. Next thing I know I hear this loud crashing noise and see a leg from the knee down dangling through my kitchen ceiling. I scream. Taylor, who was napping in her bedroom, screams because I woke her up. I yell up to Brian and he says that he is ok, but I ran up to check things out for myself after snapping a few pictures (unfortunately I did not get one of the leg dangling through the ceiling). Now let me explain how this happened. Our attic floor is not completely covered with plywood. In fact there is only one sheet of plywood (4 feet by 8 feet) up there. This sheet of plywood was the destination for the wreaths but in order to get to it you have to step on a beam or two then you are on the plywood. Well, Brian goes to take the last step onto the plywood (keep in mind this should be a rectangle shaped piece of plywood) and goes through the ceiling. Apparently there is about a 6 inch square hole cut out around a light that is in our kitchen and that was the 6 inches that Brian's foot landed on but it was concealed by insulation - insulation that he thought was just on the sheet of plywood. See pics below for amusement.


This is the temporary fix. They will be coming on Monday to fix it for good.
No comments:
Post a Comment